Information for Underemployed or Unemployed Contingent Faculty

Dear Colleagues,

The NYS Education Department has a pathway for individuals with College teaching experience to become public school teachers (quickly) and local school districts are in desperate need of substitute teachers. 

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has a pathway for certifying individuals (who have at least two years experience teaching at the college level) as public school teachers (see description of Transitional G Certificate and link at the end of this message). 

Additionally, local school districts are in desperate need of substitute teachers. 

Pay typically ranges from $80 to $100+ per day. 

Transitional G Certificate

A certificate of this type is issued to permit the employment of a college professor (who holds a graduate degree in any area for which there is a certificate title and has successfully taught the subject of the desired certificate area at the college level for at least two years within the ten years immediately preceding the application) as a classroom teacher in a New York State Public school or Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES). The public school or BOCES must submit a recommendation in TEACH.


In Solidarity,

Ken Kern
Chapter President
UUP Buffalo Center