United University Professions (UUP, Local 2190 of the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO) is the union which represents the faculty and professional staff at the state-operated campuses of the State University of New York.UUP is the largest higher education union in the United States with over 30,000 members. UUP is affiliated with the New York State United Teachers (NYSUT), with the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), with the National Education Association (NEA), and with the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO). UUP negotiates agreements on behalf of its members with the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations and with SUNY.
The Fredonia Chapter of UUP represents the roughly 625 academics and professionals employed by the State University College of New York at Fredonia. UUP goals and activities include:
- Achieving improvements in salary, fringe benefits, working conditions and retirement programs
- Providing funding for professional growth and development through leaves, awards, conferences and other grant programs
- Obtaining state resources for the state university through effective legislative and political action
- Enhancing and preserving the quality of the university
- Providing information on labor unions, state work force and bargaining issues, higher education reform, college faculty concerns, and a variety of higher education topics