Please go to the link below for the latest update about negotiations. This addition is much more detailed regarding the present situation. I believe our members will find it very informative.
The site is password-protected. Go to http://uupinfo.org/negotiations/index.php to find out how to access the site.
Update have been posted in the Members-Only section of the UUP website.
Updated Oct. 1, 2013
Contract pay dates announced
2013 implementation of the compensation items in UUP’s contract will proceed as follows:
On-Base Salary Increase
Pay date: Nov. 6, 2013: $500 on base, pro-rated for part-time employees, retro to July 1 or Sept. 1.
This raise goes to all UUP members on payroll as of June 30, 2013; employees whose employment expired prior to July 2013 will also receive this increase if reemployed and on payroll on effective date and at time of payment.
Discretionary Salary Awards (not on base)
Pay Date: Dec. 4, 2013 or Dec. 18, 2013 (campus choice)
Chapters will receive total DSA allocations, including specific amounts that must be distributed to part-time employees.
Pay Date: Nov. 20, 2013
Full-Time Employees: One-time $500 payment added to base annual salary at:
• Continuing appointment (tenure for academics)
• Permanent appointment (permanency for professionals)
• Second five-year term appointment for Appendix A professionals
Those who attained these milestones between July 1, 2011, and Dec. 31, 2012, will receive the increase retroactive to Jan. 1, 2013. Anyone who attained these milestones after Jan. 1, 2013, will receive this increase as of the date the milestone was attained. Employees in the above three categories who reached these career milestones before July 1, 2011, received a $500 on-base salary increase under the 2003-2007 or the 2007-2011 contracts.
A one-time $500 payment added to base salary upon completion of seven years in:
• Appendix C Fundraising, Lecturer, and Appendix B-4 Division III athletic titles.
Retro to Jan. 1, 2013, for those who completed seven years prior to 1/1/13; retro to date the seven years was reached for those who reached it after 1/1/13.
A $500 lump-sum bonus payment (not added to base salary) for those who reached eight years of service since July 1, 2011.
Part-time employees who reached eight years before 7/1/11 received $500 under the last contract. Award recurs every eight years of consecutive service.
All other provisions of UUP’s 2011-2016 contract are in effect. An updated Contract Q & A that covers all items will be posted on the UUP website next week. Please watch for further announcements.
If you have questions, email UUP at firstname.lastname@example.org
2011-2016 Contract Q & A
Click Here to view the 2011-2016 contract Questions and Answers section.
Governor signs UUP pay bill: Contract
implementation to proceed
Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed UUP’s contract pay bill Sept. 6, paving the way for full implementation of all provisions in the new contract.
Now that the pay bill is signed, SUNY will proceed with an implementation memo that gives direction and clarification to campus administrations. UUP has been informed that SUNY System Administration has a meeting scheduled for early October with campus human resources personnel to discuss contract details.
UUP will announce specific implementation dates for each contract item once they have been set. Monetary items that can now be implemented include the following:
• 2013 $500 on-base salary increase for all UUP members, pro-rated for part-time employees.
• On-base $500 Service Awards for permanent appointment and continuing appointment (tenure) or a second five-year term appointment for professionals in Appendix A titles, from 2011 forward.
• On-base $500 Service Awards for members who have reached seven years of service in full-time lecturer, Appendix B-4 Division III athletics, and Appendix C fundraising titles (to continue going forward).
• $500 not-on-base Service Award for part-time employees who reached eight years of service from 2011 forward.
• Discretionary Salary Awards for full-time and part-time members that must be distributed by December 2013.
• UUP grant programs, such as Individual Development Awards and other programs.
Union develops contract implementation
UUP is in the process of developing informational materials to assist chapter leaders with member questions about the contract. Preparation for state-level and chapter-level Labor-Management discussions about contract implementation is underway.
Grant Programs: Decisions about allocation of funds to chapters for Joint Labor-Management grant programs such as Individual Development Awards and campus grants have not been made yet. A state-level Labor-Management Committee will be convened as soon as possible to determine which grant programs will be funded and at what levels.
Health Benefits Changes: We have been informed by the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations that all health benefits changes will take effect on September 1, 2013. All members will receive a mailing from the Department of Civil Service about the changes. There will be a special Option Transfer Period before September to allow UUP members to make changes to their health plans.
UUP officers are working with chapter Labor Relations Specialists to prepare for follow-up on new contract items at the chapter level. Items that require attention include the following:
- Expansion of on-call/recall eligibility for Professionals
- Class action grievances
- Distribution of discretionary money to part-time and full-time employees
- Campus-level plans for the two days off in lieu of pay for Deficit Reduction
- Appendix A-28 issues (Professionals’ performance programs, evaluations, and promotions, and the potential use of grievances to address infractions).
There will be contract implementation training for chapter presidents and vice-presidents at a statewide meeting in August.
Please be aware that inaccurate information about the UUP contract has appeared in press reports and many campus administrators are not fully informed about the contract at this time. Please contact UUP directly to receive accurate information about the contract by calling 1-800-342-4206 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
We owe our thanks to the entire Negotiations Team for their years of hard work to bring us to this point. We should especially thank Chief Negotiator Jamie Dangler and Associate Chief Negotiator Mike Smiles for their strong and tireless work on all of our behalf. We also owe a debt of gratitude to UUP’s former President Phil Smith. He was the guiding hand supporting our team.