Last fall, members of UUP resoundingly ratified a new six-year contract with New York State that will be in effect until the middle of 2022. The contract was approved by 98 percent of eligible voters who cast ballots.
On June 20, UUP released a fact sheet outlining the contract provisions that will take effect on July 1, 2019. For ease of access, the information is repeated below.
The following contract provisions will take effect during July 2019 for eligible employees:
- 2% increase to base salary, effective July 1 or Sept. 1, 2019, depending on professional obligation
- Second half of the retroactive pay for the 2% salary increases for 2016 and 2017 — to be paid in July 24, 2019 paychecks
- Discretionary Salary Increases: 0.5% pool of total UUP bargaining unit basic annual salaries at each campus for on-base DSI, effective July 1, 2019, payable no later than Dec. 31, 2019
- On-base means the amount awarded as DSI will be added to the recipient’s base salary
- Salary Compression/Inversion Increases: 0.5% pool of total UUP bargaining unit basic annual salaries at each campus for on-base adjustments, effective July 1, 2019, payable no later than Dec. 31, 2019
- Appendix A-41 to the 2016-2022 Agreement provides that the guidelines and methodology for analyzing the extent of salary compression and inversion at each campus will be developed in executive-level discussions between UUP, SUNY and the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations (GOER). The results of these analyses will be utilized in distributing these funds to address identified compression and inversion. UUP/NYS negotiations to implement this directive are still in process
Effective July 1, 2019, the previous on-call pay rate of $4.35 per hour will increase to $6 per hour upstate and $8 per hour in New York City and on Long Island.
Effective in 2019, employees who are required to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas, in addition to their regular compensation, may choose to receive time-and-one-half holiday pay instead of holiday comp time for work on these holidays. Employees who are required to work New Year’s Day may elect straight time holiday pay in lieu of comp time for working New Year’s. Interested employees must provide written notice of intent to elect holiday pay between July 1 and Aug. 15, 2019.